Sunday, January 22, 2012

Will we ever meet again?

Girls are interesting beings. Every time I admire their beauty or cuteness, however subtle I think my ways are, they somehow know it. Most of them cringe. Some will shake their head with a poker face, as if to stop me from wasting my time. And I will just laugh it off, thinking that gal is so full of herself - like I'm going to hit on every fine girl that passes me by. After that everything is normal again.

It is those who react otherwise that scare the heck out of me.

On a chilly morning I was sitting there alone in a corner of a warm hotel dining room, guzzling down a third tray of the buffet-style breakfast. Nearby some middle aged Chinese diners coarse yet rich enough to stay at a 5-star hotel are just being themselves, a few western guests of all ages and sizes but apparently not together scattered around the room, and waitresses in red qipao (mandarin gown) asking people if they preferred coffee or tea as soon as they sat down.

It was the first day of my first business trip ever. A dozen people of the Firm were staying at the hotel and I only knew one senior from my department. It was still early in the morning and that senior was nowhere in sight. Not that she would bother to have a one on one breakfast with me anyway.

Of all my breakfast binging which would last for the rest of the week, I somehow managed to notice a girl of my age carefully scooping food into her tray. I couldn't stop checking her out: her delicate, pretty face was perfectly innocent without any makeup. Such youthful vibrance radiated from her touched me a million times more than the free buffet.

I intuitively knew that she was from the Firm too. Such pretty things may abound in Hong Kong, but when you spot one in this part of the town where rural migrant population dominated, it was hard to take your eyeballs off her very soon.

Under the influence of black coffee, I got up from my seat to get another serving even if I was already full to the point of nausea. I turned my back towards her, trying not to raise any suspicions, but when seconds later I turned back to “randomly” look for some more food. She was already gone.

Then it was lunch time, everyone from the Firm was at a big round table in the client's luxurious restaurant, being served gourmet Chinese dishes. She barged in late, with documents in her hands, explaining in Cantonese. I detected an accent, which means she is a mainland sister.

The second day the client's senior management, who are nothing but slobs and mobs in suits, invited us to dinner. Magically, the CFO whose Mandarin I sometimes had trouble understanding sat between me and her. Mr CFO talked most of the time with her. And I learned that she was articulate, knowledgeable, and was from the same province I was from. Every time something funny came up during “their” conversation, I laughed out loud like a girl laughing at her crush's jokes. On an afterthought, that was when I gave myself away. Mr CFO did not drink much herself but tried to get her drunk. She insisted she could not drink much and sipped the same glass of grape wine the whole night. I, on the other hand, was flushing after only two rounds of toasting.

From Day Two onwards, our group decided to work in a different room from the other group. So there were only a few occasions where I could see her. Every breakfast for the next few days, she was always at her usual spot alone, her back facing the entrance but when I came in she would coyly look back to the entrance. This made me so awkward I forgot how to walk normally. Or she was just waiting for her colleagues.

Not every lunch she would join us all. One day we bumped into her on our way to the cafeteria, I seized the opportunity to talk to her in Mandarin but she pretended she did not hear me. What she did was cheerfully talking to everyone in my group, senior or junior, which is the right thing to do. When we got there, her group had not arrived yet. So she asked ME if I had THEIR group leader's phone number.

In Cantonese.

Ain't she smooth.

But I still appreciated her initiatives.

The rest of the week went on without much drama. Then it was Friday and it was time to get back to Hong Kong. We were at the “International” airport with no wifi in the air. I got in the shortest line to check in and the next thing I knew she followed me and waited right behind me, asking me, again in Cantonese, “Is this the line for business class only, since we are all flying economy?” pointing to the sign above the counter.

At that very moment I knew this might be the last chance I could talk to her. I should have told her that we were from the same province, which would have been a great opening line. I should have asked her why she was still going to Hong Kong instead of going home for the Chinese New Year. Then I would have told her that my parents were with me in Hong Kong. Nice to meet you. Nice to meet you too. Blah. Blah. Blah.

But the problem was, I did not know what language to use. Speaking Cantonese to a fellow mainlander is unnatural and awkward. But speaking Mandarin may seem too intimate and chummy. English? Bitch please.

Instead I looked at the sign and replied, “Uh...Uh..Ohhhhh!..”

Those were the last words I told her.

I didn't even get her name. And I wondered if we would ever meet again.

Hours later the plane landed in Hong Kong. On my way home, I was pulling a suitcase heavier from all the extra files and client's new year's gifts, but all I heard in my head was:


She was covered
in leather and gold,
21 years old
I lost her in the cold
It's unfair, she's out there
Somewhere, somewhere,
somewhere in Brooklyn”
- Somewhere in Brooklyn
Bruno Mars

No comments:

Post a Comment