Sunday, October 2, 2011

The Cashier Woman Who Always Yells At Old Customers

I was waiting in line this morning at the MX's restaurant downstairs, ready to order my routine breakfast of beef, fried egg and an early fix of caffeine. There was this old man in front of me. The word “old” pretty much described Old Man all too well: he was in an old man's white sleeveless shirt, and an old man's shorts, with an old man's protruding belly possible due to his old man's age. Bald and slow, apparently at a loss with the sheer variety of breakfast choices on the wall.

It was his turn. Old Man lumbered up to the cashier in slow motion but only to forget what he intended to order. So he lumbered back to look at the menu wall again. This whole time I kept my distance from him, holding my breath – just in case Old Man had an old man's smell.

“I want Choice A.” Old Man finally muttered.

“Choice A... What else do you want?” Cashier Woman asked, so far everything seemed normal.

Old Man pondered for about 3 seconds, and said, “I'd drink Coke.”

This was when Cashier Woman lost her cool, “What else do you want?! What else do you want?! What else do you want?!” She chanted at the top her lungs as if Old Man was deaf. As far as I was concerned, Old Man already said Coke, thus I wasn't so sure who was the deaf one here. And her sudden transformation from a sweet, welcoming doll to a short-tempered, hysteric crazy bitch would have made people with maniac depression seem affable.

This was not the first time I saw Cashier Woman freak out at old customers. She was triggered not by what they did, nor what they said, but who they were.

I found that disturbing. And I don't even like old people.



No comments:

Post a Comment