Sunday, February 5, 2012

My Neighbor's Death

“I have some terrible news.” My mom said as I opened the door for her. From the way my mom tried to sound sympathetic, I thanked Chairman Mao at least the terrible news wasn't about me or our family. “The old man next door died.” I looked at her blankly, processing what I just heard. “The fat woman downstairs – referring to one of the estate security guards - told me that two months ago he was rushed to the hospital but didn't make it...” She continued to blast the unhealthy takeaway food the old man took home for causing his protruding belly and sudden death. But I was still overwhelmed by the loss of someone “close” to me.

The old man has been a fixture of the apartment building. When I moved into the apartment 4-plus years ago, he had lived next door for who knows how many years. I lived alone some months of the year; he lived alone twelve months of the year. In my early days in Hong Kong, when I still found the freedom from shackles of parents refreshingly thrilling, I often stayed up all night watching TV and didn't go to bed until sunrise. Sometimes he would knock on my door griping about the volume. And I would apologize and turn it down. At 4:30 a.m., when I was still wide awake, he would clank open and charge out of the door, off for a day of who knows what he did for a living. He would be back around 5 p.m. with a bagful of takeaway. And the door clanked again. That pattern repeated itself every day but vanished two months ago. And we speculated that he just went back for the lunar holiday.

My neighborhood fills with two species of old people. First there are the good kind. The men play Chinese chess in the park while their wives dance together in the badminton playground. They sip Yuan Yang at local Cha Chaan Teng (Cantonese restaurant) while perusing the Oriental Daily News, and greet each other with the latest lottery tips. Their healthy, active lifestyle contributes to their peace of mind that only comes with old age.

Then there are the sad kind. Some sat on the benches in the street, their eyes empty and unintelligent. They are not even talking. They just sat there, waiting for Him. Some desiccated, nonchalant men and women tethered to wheelchairs for life are moved about by Filipino maids that seemed always on the phone. Some reel about with the aid of rusty four-legged canes or two-wheeled walkers, possibly still recovering from a stroke. Some walk with their backs so hunched that they are literally facing the ground when moving forward. Some walk fine, but with brownish lubes into their nostrils, or in worse cases, into holes in their necks, which remind me of those scenes from House, MD where a doctor has to make a hole in a patient's neck so the patient won't suffocate. And lastly some loony ones would lurk around public toilets, and stand right next to you when you're urinating.

What makes it so unfair is that the old man next door was better than the two kinds. He was old too but hustled like a young man. He worked hard for a living instead of taking government money and waiting for death. But he died. The paralyzed, the lunatic, the demented and the perverted are still breathing.

“Almost dying changes nothing; dying changes everything.” came Dr. Gregory House's epiphany after a patient's death. It also takes a neighbor's death for me to appreciate life more. To me, and most other people, nothing is worse than death. That's why killing is the worst thing one can do to another human being. That's why the death penalty is the harshest form of punishment. That's why genocides are the most despicable crime in human history.

That's also why Mr Chow from The Hangover II said, “Oh you having a bad day? Did you die?!” which is not merely a funny punchline, but an awesome outlook on life:

“Oh you failed your exams? Did you die?!”
“Oh your crush wouldn't love you back? Did you die?!”
“Oh everybody treated you like crap? Did you die?!”
“Oh your writing sucked and it's not getting you anywhere? Did you die?!”
"Oh you fucked up your career? Did you fucking die?!"

......

No, Sir, no.

And whatever doesn't kill me makes me stronger.

No comments:

Post a Comment